Monday 12 March 2007

My Adorable Nephew

I phoned my sister for a chat... unfortunately, with my perfect timing, I rang just as she was catching up on some sleep...

...once she had woken up enough to phone me back, we had a good natter. I now know more than I ever dreamed possible about the mechanics of breastfeeding. I praise God that he, in his infinite mercy, has decided to spare me the direct experience...

My oh-so-efficient-and-organised sister is also rather bemused by the side-effects of motherhood. She ruefully told me that, not only does her conversation revolve around the demanding little bundle she produced ten weeks ago, but that she is totally incapable of getting her brain round anything not baby-oriented. She used to discuss business concerns with her husband and they would brainstorm ideas. Last night he asked her for her opinion on something work-related, and she could feel her brain go all mushy.

I realised something weird had happened when my "baby" sister (motherhood notwithstanding, she will remain my baby sister as long as I remember the day she was born) started to lecture me about not eating vegetables.

Interesting concept: post-natal hormones kick in to make the mother's mental processes totally baby-fixated, thus ensuring the survival of the species. Neat trick.

My sister took a photo of my nephew on her phone and sent it through to me. I think it calls for a caption competition...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute or what!

Kasia said...

"Oh, please! No more milk! Enough is ENOUGH!"

Simon-Peter Vickers-Buckley said...

"Last night he asked her for her opinion on something work-related, and she could feel her brain go all mushy." It's so true!

"post-natal hormones kick in to make the mother's mental processes totally baby-fixated."

Nice bit of post-fall engineering by the Designer?

Jennifer said...

"Please mom...don't eat brocolli anymore...see what it does to my poor little tummy."

He is very cute.

newhousenewjob said...

"If I promise to be good and sleep through the night, will you pleeeease stop singing 'Colours of Day' to me?"

Cathy said...

"When you say I'll have to 'tell the priest my sins', you're speaking figuratively, right?"

A-dorable.

biretta wearer said...

Now, that 'frock' you showed me for my Christening ....Mum.....you were joking.....right? Mummmmmmmy!!!!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...