Thursday 15 March 2007

Red Box Day?

Fr. Tim is all set to run with the alternative to Red Nose Day. He called it "Red Box Day" - an idea from Birmingham Diocese which was publicised by Jackie...

Hmmn. Not sure how it will look with the black vestments for tomorrow morning's Requiem Mass... he might be able to perch it on his biretta!

Personally, I shall be doing my utmost to avoid anything to do with Comic Relief. From the coverage on TV lately (yes, I still have the evil box... ) I'm beginning to think that all the money raised is going to help HIV/AIDS orphans and other victims of the disease. Yes, yes, before you flood my com-box, I know that's not the only way the money is used... but it really does seem to get the most coverage.

I have heard so many stupid comments over the past couple of weeks with regard to HIV/AIDS funding in Africa - with one female interviewee actually stating that the so-called "ABC" programme was failing in one African country (I forget which, I was too gobsmacked by the sheer stupidity of the comment and needed to try and avoid crashing the car!) because abstinence and being faithful were being over-emphasised at the expense of promoting condom use, and people needed to be able to choose.

I'm so sorry, I must have missed something here... I blame the fact that I'm blonde, but I really can't recall the last time choosing abstinence caused HIV infection rates to go up...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...