Tuesday 6 November 2007

A Sense Of Humour

I bought a compilation CD of Elvis Presley's greatest hits a while back. It was a bit of nostalgia, as Elvis was one of my mother's favourite artists, and for many years it was the only music I got to listen to, not having my own record player or radio.

I checked the different albums out carefully on Amazon - I wanted one CD with all (or most) of my favourites... I didn't want a whole pile of Elvis albums!

Anyhow, I put it on the other day. Imagine my surprise when I heard "The King" doing a take-off of his own hit! I really did a double-take...

This wasn't the show where he completely fluffed his lines - this one was recorded in April 1960. He sings fake lyrics and enjoys the joke so much he goes off into fits of giggles... made worse by the operatic singer warbling in the background. I would love to have seen what was happening. Unfortunately a search of You Tube has only brought out the later "fluffed" lines videos, though I did find a recording which was set to photos and album covers.

The lyrics are supposed to go:

Are you lonesome tonight, do you miss me tonight,
are you sorry we drifted apart?
Does your memory stray to a bright summer day
when I kissed you and called you "sweetheart"?
Do the chairs in your parlour seem empty and bare?
Do you gaze at your doorstep and picture me there?...

Have a listen to Elvis having a laugh!

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Thank you for this. I've been listening with a very broad smile on my face :-)

Anonymous said...

LOL, I would dare any artist to keep serious with crazy backing singing like this. It sounds like the the noise generated by ghosts in scooby doo cartoons.

Mairin :o) said...

I have to say, he was so hot!!! This was really cute, thanks. The woman sounds like someone torturing a cat.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...