Thursday 29 May 2008

Prepare to be "Dunked"...

The third day of our pilgrimage, and the "dreaded dunking" is scheduled! Actually, this is something I wouldn't want to miss. Until last year, I went to the baths every day during my stay in Lourdes. Then it was pointed out to me, by one of the helpers who'd noticed my frequent visits, that by going more than once, I might actually be depriving someone else of the opportunity. The queue, on the women's side, is certainly ferocious, and, regretfully, I decided to limit myself to a single visit in future... unless I'm visiting out of season, and there is no sign of a queue!

We shall have to get there early - although the baths do not officially open until 9am, the queue for the women's side can start before 8am. However, if the mums on the trip are generous, and share their children round a bit, we might be able to get in first!! (Only joking... though people with children do get ushered to the front, as do any disabled pilgrims... which is something I love about Lourdes.)

Mass today is in the Crypt Chapel (the High Altar is shown in the photo above, taken on pilgrimage last year) - and it's the only part of the church which was built while St. Bernadette was still in Lourdes.

Later, we'll pray the rosary at the Grotto and have the blessing of children - this will be the first time I've attended this particular service, and the first time it's been scheduled in to our official programme. Then there will be the Blessed Sacrament procession, starting at 5pm, and we'll finish our day with the 9pm torchlight procession.

3 comments:

the mother of this lot said...

You need my mother in law - she never queues anywhere in Lourdes! Everybody knows her, so she just gets taken to the front - even the baths queue! (Although she did work there during the Salford Pilgrimage for thirty years, so perhaps we'll let het off)!

Fr Seán Coyle said...

I have been 'dunked' on all but one of my six pilgrimages to Lourdes. I wasn't too unhappy when, because of long queues, I missed it once. In Easter Week 1991I was there with an 'Across' pilgrimage from Ireland. I remember accompanying Tony to the baths. he was a very tall man, in his late 30s, who had been badly injured, including damage to his brain, in a road accident. I still vividly remember the smiling faces of the Italian men on duty that day who were so gentle, respectful and cheerful with Tony and myself.

Fr Seán Coyle

Joe said...

Some years ago now, I was allocated by the Service St Joseph of the Hospitalite to spend a day working in the baths (part of their four year programme of formation was to give us experience in all the different aspects of the life of the shrine). It was awe inspiring. The courage of a number of very sick or disabled pilgrims who visited the baths that day left me completely stunned - they clearly coped day in and day out with extraordinary difficulties and did not seem to consider it anything special that they did so. The skill and care of the staff who worked permanently in the baths was also quite moving to see.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...