Saturday 8 August 2009

Exciting Times...

I received a rather exciting item in the post this morning: a proof copy of a chapter I wrote about St. Anne Line for a book on various heroic women. I'm not entirely sure whether I'm supposed to do anything with it, it just came with a compliment slip from the publisher, the contents pages and the biographies of all the contributors as they will appear in the book.

The book is called English Catholic Heroines, and it is edited by Joanna Bogle (of Auntie Joanna Writes fame) and published by Gracewing. Glancing at the other chapter titles, I was delighted to see that Fiorella Nash and Sr. Andrea Fraile have also contributed chapters.

In addition to the "usual suspects" such as St. Margaret Clitherow and St. Margaret Ward, there are a lot of women I'd never heard of, so it will be quite a fascinating read... though I shall avoid reading my own chapter: I hate reading stuff I've written.

I have to say that I hadn't realised that it was going to be quite such a large book - 23 heroines in 22 chapters - but I suspect all the chapters are pretty short. I have no idea about its price, or whether it will be available in hardback first (or at all!) but, looking at Gracewing's website, there is a similar (presumably paperback) volume called English Catholic Heroes, edited by John Joliffe, and priced at £9.99.

I think the book launch is some time in October, probably in central London - watch this space!

2 comments:

CG said...

If it's a proof copy then what you should do is proofread it carefully, or - even better - get someone else with a sharp eye for detail and good spelling to do so for you. And send it back with the corrections marked up in the margin. These days many publishers don't employ professional proofreaders but depend on the author, which is why printed books have so many more typos than they used to.

Paul said...

Yes - they'll be wanting you to make sure that your name and title are spelled right on the contents page, that what they say about you in the list of contributors is spelled right (and still correct), and that they haven't ballsed up your text by printing the words in the wrong order (or accidentally printing some of the sentences twice). If it needs setting, printing, binding and shipping for October, you'd better get cracking - some of us are looking forward to reading it when it comes out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...