Friday 12 March 2010

One Of Those Days...

Today has been one of those days.

I am used to my students not realising where food comes from. I have, over the years, done my utmost best to convince various children that all food is either of plant or animal origin. I even had one bright spark challenge me to explain what tomato ketchup was... and I still chortle to myself remembering the same individual's consternation when I replied that it was called tomato ketchup for a very good reason...

Today we were breaking down protein to produce ammonia. As I was handing out the protein samples, I said to the class, "The protein we're using is egg albumin... basically it's egg whites."

"So, Miss... is that from the yellow bit of the egg?" was the question which made me want to bang my head against a brick wall...

10 comments:

PJA said...

Sounds like a "Game of two halves" moment. TGI Friday! :-D

Patricius said...

Not for nothing is the instruction of the ignorant listed first among the spiritual works of mercy!

the mother of this lot said...

You should come and live here, where everyday is one of those days!

Deo volente said...

SPACE TO LET!

I posted a comment to this blog yesterday. Due to the vagaries and inherent complexities of the blog owner's iPhone, featured in this blog recently, the comment was errantly reduced to subatomic particles by mistake. The owner of the blog has apologized for this situation and generously asked me to post the original post again. Sadly, I have forgotten the full text. As such, I apologize for being so forgetful.

The only aspect of the comment I can recall is that the blog owner as pictured in this post is again blond and no longer "aubergine" as she mentioned a few weeks back. That surely has no bearing on this situation although it is the one aspect I can recall.

Respectfully yours,
Deo volente, Esq.

Matthaeus said...

You have my sympathies - I have had many similar experiences while teaching.

I paricularly recall a lesson in which the class were comparing data about different bicycles: one lad's hand shot up - 'Sir, how do you spell B.M.X.?'

Francesca said...

Having had a run of spectacularly dumb conversations at work this week, I don't know whether I'm dismayed or heartened that it's everywhere...

Dominic Mary said...

Mac;
Try teaching them to extract DNA from Kiwi fruit, and wait for the questions THAT causes !

George said...

Dumb and dumber and yet more dumber still.....

That's the Nu-Labour legacy of the last 15-some years!!!

But they all know how to use condoms!

Matthaeus said...

Dominic Mary - yes, I know that one from experience as well!

Mulier Fortis said...

Oh yes... the kiwi fruit... not to mention the flesh-eating pineapple juice...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...