Saturday 24 July 2010

Not A Well Body...

Today was supposed to be the first day of my summer holiday.

I had planned to go to Mass, do some admin to help my Parish Priest (like many teachers, I get a kick out of going through stationery catalogues), sort out some household chores and then have a relaxing afternoon curled up with a book, before heading back to the church to help set things up for a "youth evening" of a talk, Exposition & Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, Benediction, pizza and a film.

You know what they say about the best-laid plans of mice and men...

The first bit was fine. Fr. Tim had to go off for some appointment or other, and he left me with the aforementioned stationery catalogue, a few files to print out for the Children's Liturgy group on Sunday, and some leaflets for Confession to photocopy and fold... we have three separate leaflets for young children, teenagers and adults, as the examination of conscience is rather different in each case, and I'd noticed that we were running low.

When I finished the tasks, I left the presbytery, locked the door and started to walk towards the church with all the Confession leaflets ready to put into the rack by the confessional. Suddenly, I heard (and felt) a loud "crack" and my right knee gave way. The pain was excruciating, and I couldn't put my foot to the floor. I nearly collapsed, but the wall of the presbytery got in the way, and I manoeuvred myself down onto a step. Out came the trusty mobile phone, and I called for an ambulance.

I was just debating what to do with the leaflets when a parishioner turned up to polish the brasses. I handed them over to her, and she promised to put them in the church

Two hours later, I found myself in the Accident & Emergency department of the local hospital, being introduced to nitrous oxide. As another friend later pointed out, the gas doesn't actually stop the pain, it just ensures that you really don't care about it. I was confronted by a very stern-looking nurse who insisted that I put down the "thing" I was holding (it was my rosary) and take the glass of water and tablets she had brought. I could hear what she was saying, and I really wanted to co-operate, but I couldn't actually get my hands to co-ordinate and I found myself laughing uncontrollably...

The nurse wasn't impressed, and promptly relieved me of the nitrous oxide.

To be fair, she'd probably had a really long and trying day, and a near-hysterical patient who is incapable of coherent speech is probably not the best way to round things off...

Several X-rays and blood tests later, it was decided that it wasn't a fracture or a blood clot, and I'd probably torn a muscle, and I was given a supply of painkillers, anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants, a pair of crutches, and an appointment at the fracture clinic in seven days, just to see how I'm getting along...

Needless to say, it could have been worse, and I shall endeavour to offer it up for some poor soul... but prayers would be appreciated!

34 comments:

Servus Immaculata said...

Get well soon. You'll be in my prayers.

Becky said...

You have my prayers for a speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

Prayers!

gemoftheocean said...

You bet on the prayers. Glad to hear it is "just" a tear. But I hope they REALLY check. I hope the vicodin fairy is giving you visits.

BTW, can you pixilate out that evil spider? It's creepin' me out!

Dominic Mary said...

What a truly horrendous beginning to the holiday . . . rest assured that you are, and will remain, in my prayers.
(And thanks for that wonderful cat pic; is that Sylvester demonstrating how to be 'utterly laid back' ?) :o)

Marco de Puna said...

Sorry to hear about your accident, I'll keep you in my prayers. remember that ice packs help keep the swelling down and keeping the knee elevated is a must - so now you can stretch out and read to your heart's content - or say a prayer for that nurse! )

gemoftheocean said...

Sylvester is a black puddy cat.

[And the spider is still creepin' me out!]

Vincenzo said...

Praying for you.

Dorothy B said...

Prayers and very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Mark said...

What a horrible thing to happen.

Still, I am glad it is not permanent, Mac; and your description of nitrous oxide makes me think I shall ask for it if I am ever in hospital....

You are in my prayers. God bless!

Gregory the Eremite said...

Ouch. Dodgy knees are no fun; get well soon!

Seraphic said...

Yikes! Prayers, and get well soon!

Éamonn said...

Ah, good old Nitrous Oxide - the EMT's friend! (Reduces screaming patient to extremely relaxed patient)

Hope you get well soon; prayers for restoration to your accustomed fortitudo.

Jane said...

Oh Mac, how dreadful You are always in my prayers. Will remember you today at Adoration.

If it's a muscle, I can't understand why you heard a crack just before your knee gave way. Glad you have an appointment at the fracture clinic.

Love,
J

Clifford Carvalho said...

I'm praying for you.

Mick said...

Get well soon Mac. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Be a humble and good patient ! (I never am !)

Kate said...

Prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
That nitrous oxide eh? I remember it gave me more than a few giggly moments during labour...

Patricius said...

Praying now...

Timothy Huw said...

I've had a lot of problems with my right knee so I sympathize completely. Wishing you well!

Zephyrinus said...

Dear Mac. So sorry to read about your injury. Do take care of yourself. With so many of your readers offering prayers for you, you should be up and about very soon. Push Sylvester off your favourite chair, enjoy your books, and give the abseiling a miss today. in Domino.

Marilyn Heller said...

Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

Idle Rambler said...

Oh, you poor thing! Very sorry to hear you're in the wars again. What an awful way to begin the holidays.
I've sent you a Get-Well card via my blog.
Prayers and Best Wishes.

Pastor in Monte said...

Get well soon, Mac.

me said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I will pray for you.

Delia said...

Very sorry - pain must have been excruciating. But hopefully you can have a good rest over the hols. You're in my prayers.

Larry Denninger said...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'll remember you at Mass today.

Unknown said...

Hope you get well soon and get over what is a rather painful affliction.

I suppose a health and safety claim against your parish priest is out of the question :p

Stitchwort said...

So sorry to hear about this. My prayers for a rapid recovery!

Carolg said...

Our prayers are on the way.

Anne said...

Sorry about your injury, but I love your story about the nitrous oxide!

Thanks for visiting my blog and adding me to your roll. You're right, guinea pigs don't live long. Our first guinea pig died after only a month! We're on our second now, and so far, so good-we made it past a month and she seems very healthy! We've heard they can live from 5-7 years.

My prayers for a speedy recovery!

Londiniensis said...

Mac,

Sorry to hear of your trouble. I hope you soon get back on top form!

By the way, I too like looking at catalogues that are not moving ...

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ouch! Prayers here.

Mulier Fortis said...

Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes everyone... I shall pray for you all in return!

BTW, Londiniensis - thank you for pointing out the typo... My only excuse is that I was off my skull on Tramadol when I typed it. All corrected now (I hope!)

FatherTF said...

Lots of boxes came this morning - we've got paper and envelopes, paperclips to hold them together and a new shredder to chop them all up when the minutes of the last meeting have been approved.

People are examining their consciences thoroughly and the windows of Blackfen have papal visit stuff displayed.

Clearly the knee thing was a demon who just couldn't let all that good work go unpunished.

(Do Viking sell laughing gas? They seem to stock pretty well everything else. Try the Fire Extinguishers section perhaps.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...