Saturday 1 January 2011

Seeing Out 2010 In Style...

This is definitely my preferred method of bidding goodbye to the old year - especially as there is a Plenary Indulgence attached (and remember, one doesn't need to restrict the springing of Holy Souls from Purgatory just to the month of November!)

We started off with Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, and the recitation of the Rosary...



Then we had some time for silent prayer, Fr. Tim reminding us that our prayer should consist of adoration of Our Lord, contrition for our sins during the past year, thanksgiving for all the many blessings we have received during the past year and supplication for the graces we will need during the coming year. I don't know about anyone else, but I really found that little reminder (more a reflection, actually) really helpful in keeping focussed!

We then sang the Te Deum - a little rapidly, I thought, but Fr. Tim maintained that the Te Deum should be chanted at a manly pace, akin to marching. I would have preferred it a tad slower - my Latin isn't quite up to speed!

Benediction proceeded along familiar lines - the Tantum ergo, the incensing of the Blessed Sacrament and the actual Benediction...


Rather beautifully, the camera recorded the time of the photo of Benediction here as exactly midnight! Outside we could hear fireworks exploding and cheers coming from the Parish Club...

We then recited the Divine Praises in reparation for blasphemies, the Blessed Sacrament was reposed to the strains of Adoremus in aeternum, and we finished up with the Marian anthem of the season, the Alma, redemptoris mater...

Finally, Fr. Tim invited all present into the small hall for a glass of wine and some chocolates, to celebrate the New Year... I managed to avoid the Cadbury's Heroes and stuck to the rather more interesting Guylian chocolates which were also on offer.








Sadly, I had to decline the wine, as I needed to drive home. I am, however, having a small glass of celebratory fizz (a rather good Christmas present) - I convinced myself that it was imperative to get the photos up on the blog as soon as possible, and so might as well have something to keep me going...

Having finished both the glass of fizz, and the blog post, I shall call it a night. There's another Plenary Indulgence available later on...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...