Thursday 14 April 2011

A Fantastic Film And An Even Better True Story...

The film, The Scarlet and the Black, is a gripping tale of heroic action and intrigue set in the Second World War, when the Nazis occupied Rome. Gregory Peck plays Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty, a priest in the Holy Office, who helps hundreds of allied servicemen and Jewish civilians escape.



The film is stirring enough, but it's even more so when you realise that it's based on a true story. Check out Stephen Walker's fascinating article in the Catholic Herald.

3 comments:

A Reluctant Sinner said...

Have it on DVD and watch it often...

It's really is an inspirational film, and Gregory Peck is at his best in it, I think.

I bought it at St Paul's Bookshop (next to Westminster Cathedral), though I guess it's on Amazon, too?

Mulier Fortis said...

Yes, I bought my copy on DVD via Amazon (I think - it was many years ago...)

truthfinder2 said...

There is also a book by the same title, with far more detail than could be shown in the excellent film. The movie is one of my favorites! Rosemary in Ohio

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...