Wednesday 13 March 2013

Viva Il Papa...!

The waiting game continued... the focus just switched from chimney-watching to curtain-watching. A couple of bands played as they marched below the balcony...


Of all the images which were recorded during the waiting period, I think this was one of the most moving... a rosary clasped in prayer...


At least 100,000 people were present in St. Peter's Square... not bad for a Church which is out of touch with the modern world and totally irrelevant...


Then the excitement grew as lights came on in the room behind the balcony. I was so afraid I'd miss the big moment that I left my dinner unheeded in the microwave...


Cardinal Tauran came out to announce: "Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum: Habemus Papam; Eminentissimum ac reverendissimum Dominum..." Unlike his predecessor, he didn't milk the moment, and the name was said so quickly that I almost missed it...


And then Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio of Buenos Aires was announced as the new Pope, taking the name of Francis.


The poor man looked totally stunned...


Some nice touches - he started with a prayer for the Pope Emeritus. He also asked for prayers from the people for himself... and you could have heard a pin drop in St. Peter's Square: 100,000 people united in silent prayer. He also announced that he was going to pray for Rome before the Blessed Virgin Mary tomorrow.


The Ubi et Orbi blessing was made available to all those listening on the radio, watching on TV or via the new media.


According to the biography published by the Catholic Herald, Pope Francis has a reputation for being a man of great spirituality. Interestingly (to me, at any rate) he received a Masters Degree in Chemistry - a scientist in the Vatican might prove hard for the mainstream media to get its head around!

I shall forgive him the fact that he's a Jesuit... there have been some great Jesuits (Fr. Thwaites  being one of the best examples.) I'm glad that he didn't take the name Peter... those who believe in the prophecies of Malachy will be getting themselves all het up over the fact that we have a "black" Pope (the leader of the Jesuits is nicknamed the Black Pope because of the colour of the Jesuit habit!)

I take great comfort from the fact that, as Bishop of Buenos Aires, Pope Francis has been outspoken on the subject of abortion and same-sex "marriage." Right now, I think that's all I need to know.

God bless Pope Francis.

5 comments:

Matthew Roth said...

I have been praying for him, and also begging the Lord that I am wrong, and that my fears are mislaid...

john-of-hayling said...

well done Mac - a great piece of reportage

Unknown said...

I've always liked Jesuits. If life haden't taken me on a path well trodden - well who knows!
Glad to see the BBC reporter in Rome finally getting his head around the fact that orthodox church teaching may be socially conservative, but to Catholics they are simply orthodox.

Small One said...

Love that this Pope has been an Ordinary for the Eastern Catholic Church in Argentina. this is very important I believe in the time to come as the dialogue between Orthodox Christians and Roman Catholics continues. Also does anyone know when was the last time we had a Pope who was an Ordinary-celebrant of the Divine Liturgy?

Genty said...

And one in the eye for those who opine that the Catholic church has little or no relevance to the modern world. The vast majority of the crowd shown on TV was YOUNG.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...